Abd Allah ibn Ali
|Abd Allah ibn Ali|
|Native name||عبد الله بن علی بن أبی طالب|
|Full Name||Abd Allah ibn Ali|
|Companion of||Imam al-Hussain|
|Wellknown Relatives||Umm al-Banin (mother), Abbas b. Ali (brother)|
|Place(s) of Residence||Kufa|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyrdom in the Battle of Karbala|
|Burial Place||Karbala, Iraq|
|Activities||Participating in the Battle of Karbala|
His Life[edit | edit source]
The name of Abd Allah ibn Ali has also been mentioned in historical books as Abd Allah al-Akbar and Abd Allah al-Asghar with the teknonym of Abu Muhammad. The name of his mother was Umm al-Banin bt. Hazam.
According to Abu l-Faraj, Abd Allah was martyred at the age of 25; however, some sources have said that he was 8 years younger than his brother Abbas (who was martyred at the age of 34), but he was older than his other brothers. He lived with his father for 6 years and there is no more information about him before the Battle of Ashura.
Martyrdom[edit | edit source]
Some mentioned him the first martyr among his brothers. Also, there are reports mentioning that he was martyred after his brother Ja'far.
About the way he was martyred, it is reported that when the companions of Imam al-Hussain and some of the Ahl al-Bayt were martyred, Abbas called Abd Allah and told him: "Go to the battlefield, so that I see your courage and take the pain of [losing] you a cause for my reward, because you do not have any children."
Some sources have mentioned Hani b. Thubayt al-Hadrami as the murderer of Abd Allah ibn Ali. They said that he struck Abd Allah on the head and martyred him. But, another report, mentions Khawli b. Yazid as the murderer of Abd Allah, who shot an arrow at Abd Allah, and then, a man from Banu Tamim from Aban b. Daram martyred him. They have mentioned the age of Abd Allah 25 years old upon his martyrdom. 
The name of Abd Allah ibn Ali has been mentioned in the Ziarat al-Nahiya al-Muqaddasa and he has been praised.
Sources[edit | edit source]
- WikiShia, An online encyclopedia of the school of Ahl al-Bayt
- Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi , Nafasul Mahmum; Relating to the heart rending tragedy of Karbala
References[edit | edit source]
- Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 3, p. 14; Dīnawarī, al-Maʿārif, p. 88; Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-Ṭabarī, vol. 5, p. 153; Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 88; Ṭūsī, al-Rijāl, p. 86.
- Ibn Aʿtham, Kitāb al-Futūḥ, vol. 5, p. 207; Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 88; Khwārizmī, Maqtal al-Ḥusayn, vol. 2, p. 109.
- Ibn Aʿtham, Kitāb al-Futūḥ, vol. 5, p. 114; Ibn Shahrāshūb, Manāqib, vol. 4, p. 116.
- Maḥallātī, Fursān al-hayjāʾ, vol. 5, p. 250.
- Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 3, p. 407; Dīnawarī, al-Akhbār al-ṭiwāl, p. 257; Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 88; Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 109; Ṭa
- Shajarī, al-Amālī al-khamīsīya, vol. 1, p. 117; Maḥallī, al-Ḥadāʾiq al-wardīyya, vol. 1, p. 120
- Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 88; Ṭabrisī, Iʿlām al-warā, vol. 1, p. 395.
- Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 88.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh-i Ṭabarī, vol. 8, p. 235.