Abd Allah ibn Aqil
|Abd Allah ibn Aqil|
|Native name||عبدالله بن عقیل بن أبی طالب|
|Full Name||Abd Allah ibn Aqil ibn Abi Ṭalib|
|Companion of||Imam al-Hussain|
|Place(s) of Residence||Medina|
|Death/Martyrdom||61/680 (Day of Ashura)|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyred in the Event of Ashura|
|Burial Place||Holy Shrine of Imam al-Hussain, Karbala|
Lineage[edit | edit source]
Aqil ibn Abi Talib had two children named Abd Allah, Abd Allah al-Akbar (the older) and Abd Allah al-Asghar (the younger). Some sources stated that both of his sons were martyred in the Battle of Karbala. 
The name of Abd Allah al-Akbar's mother is stated Umm al-Banin al-Kilabiyya, and some stated as Umm Anis. Some sources stated that Abu Sa'id was the kunya of Abd Allah as they regarded him the father of Muhammad b. Abi Sa'id b. Aqil who was martyred in the Battle of Karbala. However, according to genealogy books, Aqil had a son other than Abd Allah called Abu Sa'id. 
Martyrdom[edit | edit source]
According to some sources, he received Imam al-Hussain permission to fight in the battlefield on the Day of Ashura. It is said Abd Allah b. Khalid al-Juhani from Hamdan tribe was probably the murderer of Abd Allah ibn Aqil. However according to another source Amr b. Subayh al-Saydawi was the murderer of Abd Allah in the battle of Karbala.
Based on a research by Muhammad Mahdi Shams al-Din in his book Ansar al-Husayn, Abu Abd Allah b. Muslim b. Aqil in Ziarat Shuhada is actually Abd Allah b. Aqil.
Source[edit | edit source]
- WikiShia, An online encyclopedia of the school of Ahl al-Bayt
- Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi , Nafasul Mahmum; Relating to the heart rending tragedy of Karbala
References[edit | edit source]
- Balādhurī, Ansāb al-Ashrāf, vol. 2, p. 69
- Pazhūhishī pīrāmūn-i shuhadā-yi Karbalā, p. 224-225.
- Balādhurī, Ansāb al-Ashrāf, vol. 2, p. 70
- Sharīf Kāshānī, Tadhkirat al-Shuhadāʾ, vol. 1, p. 154.
- Balādhurī, Ansāb al-Ashrāf, vol. 2, p. 70.
- Alawī, al-Majdī fī ansāb al-ṭālibīyyīn, vol. 1, p. 18.
- Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-Ṭālibīyyīn, vol. 1, p. 97.
- Shams al-Dīn, Anṣār al-Ḥusayn, p. 150; Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 447.
- Shams al-Dīn, Anṣār al-Ḥusayn, p. 150.