William O. Beeman
William O. Beeman is Professor and Chair of the Department of Anthropology at the University of Minnesota. He is an anthropological linguist by training. During 2013-2014 he was Visiting Scholar at Stanford University.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Professor Beeman's scholarly interests and research include sociolinguistics and the semantics of interaction; cross-cultural comparison of theatrical and performance genres; opera; paralinguistic and nonlinguistic semiotics; action anthropology; philosophic anthropology; peasant and nomadic societies. His research in recent years has explored neuroscience and cognition in conjunction with music and theatrical performance.
He is an internationally known expert on the Middle East and the Islamic World, particularly Iran, the Gulf Region and Central Asia. He has also conducted research in Japan, India, Nepal, China and Europe. From 1996-1999 he sang professionally in Europe as an operatic bass. He continues his musical career.
Education[edit | edit source]
- Ph.D.: Anthropology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1976.
Specialties[edit | edit source]
- peasant and nomadic societies
- philosophic anthropology
- action anthropology
- paralinguistic and nonlinguistic semiotics
- sociolinguistics and the semantics of interaction
- cross-cultural comparison of theatrical and performance genres
- Middle East
- Islamic world
- South Asia
- business anthropology
Selected Research and Publications[edit | edit source]
- Religion and Ritual Performance, Interkulturelle Theologie. Zeitschrift für Missionswissenschaft 40(4): 320-341., 2013
- RUḤAWZI RUHOZI --Traditional Iranian Theater--Encyclopaedia Iranica, Encyclopædia Iranica, online edition, 2017, available at http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/ ruhawzi, 2017
- "Cultural Dimensions of Performance Conventions in Iranian Ta'ziyeh", Ta'ziyeh: Ritual and Drama in Iran, 24-31p.
- The Anthropology of Theater and Spectacle, TDR-the Drama Review-a Journal of Performance Studies Vol. 49, No. 4, Pages 48-60 , 2005.
- Classical Persian Music, Islam and Ta'ziyeh, In Rastegar, Soussie and Anna Vanzan, eds., Muraqqa’e Sharqi: Studies in Honor of Peter Chelkowski. San Marino: AIEP Editore Srl. Pp. 43-56., 2007.
- "Acting Styles and Actor Training in Taziyeh", By William O. Beeman and Mohammad B. Ghaffari, The Drama Review, Vol. 49, No. 4, Winter 2005, 48–60 p.
- "Ta'ziyeh Performance Conventions: A Short Sketch", Asia Society.
- Martyrdom, Shiʽa Islam, Taʽziyeh Political Symbolism in Shiʽa Islam Introduction—The Power of Martyrdom Rituals.
- "Presenting Taziyeh at Lincoln Center”, By Nigel Redden, Mohammad B. Ghaffari, Peter J. Chelkowski, The Drama Review, Vol. 49, No. 4, Winter 2005, 124-125 p.
- Iranian Performance Traditions
- “Between Laughter and Tears: Communicational and Cultural Dimensions of Iranian Ta’ziyeh and Ru-hozi”, Proceedings of International Symposium on Spectacle and Entertainment, Edited by Toru Matsuda, Tokyo, Sanseido, 1983, 23-40 p.
- "And A Time for Pleasure", By Ali Boloukbashi and William Beeman, Iran: Elements of Destiny, photographer Beny Roloff, General Editor Amir Arjomand, Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1978, 252-275 p.
- "A Full Arena: The Development and Meaning of Popular Performance Traditions in Iran" Modern Iran: The Dialectics of Continuity and Change ed. Michael E. Bonine and Nikki R. Keddie Albany: State University of New York Press 1982, 361-381p.