Vanessa Martin (1946) is an English scholar of Shi'ism and Islamic Studies.
|Occupation||Professor and Author|
Biography[edit | edit source]
She is Emeritus Professor of Middle Eastern History of the University of London. Her main area of research has been the political, religious and social development of modern Iran from the nineteenth to the late twentieth century.
Publications[edit | edit source]
Articles[edit | edit source]
- British policy towards Iran 1809-1914: the question of cost, V., 10 Mar 2020, In : British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies. p. 1-16
- Nuri, Fazlallah, V., 19 Jun 2014, Encyclopaedia Iranica. Online ed.
- Foreign Land Holdings in Iran 1828 to 1911, V. & Nouraei, M., Apr 2011, In : Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society. 21, 2, p. 131-145
- State, Power and Long-term Trends in the Iranian Constitution of 1906 and its Supplement of 1907, V., 2011, In : Middle Eastern Studies. 47, 3, p. 461-476
- Social Networks and Border Conflicts: The First Herat War 1838-1841, V., 28 Jan 2008, War and Peace in Qajar Persia: Implications Past and Present. Farmanfarmaian, R. (ed.). London: Routledge, p. 110-122 (History and Society in the Islamic World).
- Aqa Najafi, Haj Aqa Nurullah and the Emergence of Islamism in Isfahan 1889-1908, V., 2008, In : Iranian Studies. 41, 2, p. 155-72
- Murder in Bushehr in 1844: the Case of Bibi Asilu, V., 2008, In : Iran. 46, p. 285-292
- The Jester and the Shadow of God. Nasir al-Din Shah and his Fools, V., 2007, In : Iranian Studies. 40, 4, p. 467-481
- The Role of the Karguzar in the Foreign Relations of State and Society of Iran from the mid-nineteenth century to 1921 Part III: The Karguzar and Disputes over Foreign Trade, V. & Nouraei, M., Jul 2006, In : Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society. 16, 2, p. 151-163
- The Role of the Karguzar in the Foreign Relations of State and Society of Iran from the mid-nineteenth century to 1921. Part 1: Diplomatic Relations, V. & Nouraei, M., Nov 2005, In : Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society. 15, 3, p. 261-277
- Slavery and Black Slaves in Nineteenth Century Iran, V., 2005, The Great Islamic Encyclopaedia.
- The British in Bushehr: the Impact of the First Herat War on the Relations between State and Society, V., 2005, Anglo Iranian Relations since 1800. Martin, B. (ed.). London: Routledge, p. 55-66
- The Suppression of the Slave Trade in Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Century Iran, V., 2004, In : Journal of Foreign Relations, Centre for Documents and Diplomatic History, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Illusions of the City, V., 1997, In : Journal of Urban Studies.
- Khumaini, Knowledge and the Political Process, V., 1997, In : The Muslim World. 77, 1, p. 1-16
- A Comparison between Khumaini's Vilayat-i faqih and the Commentary on Plato's Republic of Ibn Rushd, V., 1996, In : Journal of Islamic Studies. 7, 1, p. 16-31
- Aspects of Reform and Development of the State in the Early Qajar Period in Iran, V., 1996, In : Die Welt des Islams. 36, 1, p. 1-24
- Mudarris, Republicanism and the Rise to Power of Riza Khan, Sardar Sipah, V., 1994, In : Bulletin of the British Society for Middle Eastern Studies. 21, 2, p. 200-211
- Hartwig and Russian Policy in Iran 1906-8, V., 1993, In : Middle Eastern Studies. 29, 1, p. 1-21
- Religion and State in Khumaini's Kashf al-asrar, V., 1993, In : Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies. 56, 1, p. 35-45
- Trends in the Shi'i Response to Constitutionalist Ideology in Iran, V., Nov 1992, In : Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society. 2, 3, p. 347-361
- Shaikh Fazlallah Nuri and the Iranian Revolution of 1905-9, V., 1987, In : Middle Eastern Studies. 23, 1, p. 41-53
- The Anti-Constitutionalist Arguments of Shaikh Fazlallah Nuri, V., 1986, In : Middle Eastern Studies. 22, 2, p. 181-196.
Books[edit | edit source]
- Iran between Islamic Nationalism and Secularism: The Constitutional Revolution of 1906, V., 17 Sep 2013, London: I.B. Tauris.
- Iran's Constitutional Revolution: Popular Politics, Cultural Transformations and Transnational Connections, V. (ed.) & Chehabi, H. (ed.), 2010, London: I.B. Tauris.
- Anglo-Iranian Relations since 1800, V. (ed.), 2005, London: Routledge.
- The Qajar Pact. Bargaining Protest and the State in Nineteenth Century Iran, V., 2005, London: I.B. Tauris.
- Women, Religion and Culture in Iran, V. (ed.) & Ansari, S. (ed.), 2002, Richmond, Surrey: Curzon Press.
- Creating an Islamic State: Khomeini and the Making of a New Iran, V., 2000, London: I.B. Tauris.
- Islam and Modernism: the Iranian Revolution of 1906, V., 1989, London: I.B. Tauris.