|Occupation||Professor And Author|
|Alma mater||Scholar of Iranian and Islamic history|
Biography[edit | edit source]
Jean Calmard, after his graduation, entered the French navy, where he served for several years before gaining employment related to international trade. In the early 1960s, Calmard spent three years traveling in Iran, Afghanistan, and India. It was during this time that he developed a strong passion for the culture of the Persian-speaking world and set his sights on pursuing research in this area. Upon returning to Paris, he obtained a diploma in Persian and Urdu at the Ecole Nationale des Langues Orientales Vivantes, and spent a year as a student at the University of Tehran from 1967 to 1968. Soon after returning to Paris in 1968, he gained employment as a researcher at the Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS) and joined Le Centre d'etudes islamiques et orientales d'histoire comparee (Center of Islamic and Oriental Studies of Comparative History), then under the leadership of Jean Aubin (1927-98). In 1975, he received a doctorate from University of Paris III: Sorbonne Nouvelle based on his doctoral dissertation titled Le culte de l'Imam Husayn. Etudes sur la commemoration du drame de Karbala dans l'Iran pre-safavide (The Cult of Imam Husayn. Studies on the Commemoration of the Drama of Karbara in Iran before the Safavid Era).
In 1986, Calmard succeeded Aubin as director of the Center of Islamic and Oriental Studies of Comparative History, actively engaging in research both inside and outside France as a leading scholar of Iranian history for over ten years until his retirement from CNRS in 1997.
As is evident from the title of his dissertation, Calmard's academic interest was initially premodern religious cultural history in Iran. In part stimulated by his experiences working alongside diverse researchers in Aubin's research group, the temporal and geographic scope of Calmard's research subsequently expanded to cover diverse areas.
Selected Research and Publications[edit | edit source]
Entry[edit | edit source]
- ḤORR-E RIĀḤI
- EBN SAʿD, ʿOMAR
- EBN ZĪĀD, ʿOBAYD-ALLĀH
- ʿALĪ AṢḠAR
- ʿABBĀS B. ʿALĪ B. ABŪ ṬĀLEB
- ḤOSAYNIYA-YE MOŠIR
- ʿALĪ AKBAR
- ʿALAM VA ʿALĀMAT
- ḤOSAYN B. ʿALI ii. IN POPULAR SHIʿISM
Book[edit | edit source]
- The patronage of representations of Ta'ziye II, The beginnings of the reign of Nâseroddin Châh [Texte imprimé] / Jean Calmard / Paris: 1977
- Imamite Shiism in Iran at the time Seljuk according to Kitab Al -Naqd [Texte imprimé] / Jean Calmard / [sl]: [sd]
- The Patronage of Ta'ziye representations [Texte imprimé] / Jean Calmard / [Geneva]: (1974)
- The cult of Imām Husayn: study on the commemoration of the Karbalā drama in presafavid Iran / Jean Calmard, under the direction of Maxime Rodinson /, 1975
Article[edit | edit source]
- "Muharram ceremonies and diplomacy: a preliminary study", Qajar Iran: Political, Social and Cultural Change, Edited by Clifford Edmund Bosworth, Carole Hillenbrand and L. P. Elwell-Sutton, Edinburg, Edingurg University Press, Costa Mesa, Mazda Publishers, 1983, 213- 228 p.
- "Shi`i rituals and power II, the consolidation of Safavid Shi`ism: folklore and popular religion", Safavid Persia: The History and Politics of an Islamic Society, Edited by charles Melville, London, I. B. Tauris, 1996, 139-190 p.
- "Shi`i rituals and power: the consolidation of Safavid Shi`ism folklore and popular religion", Safavid Persia, Edited by charles Melville, London, I. B. Tauris, 1996, 139-190 p.
- "Les rituals shiite et le pouvoir: l`imposition du shiisme safavide: eulogies et malédictions canoniques", Études safavides, sous la direction de Jean Calmard, Paris & Tehran, Institut Français de Recherche en Iran, 1993, 109-150 p.
- "Le Patronage des Ta'ziyeh: Elements pour une Etude Globale”, Taziyeh: Ritual and Drama in Iran, 1979, 121-130 p.
- Calmard Jean. H. Corbin, in Iranian Islam. Spiritual and philosophical aspects . In: The Man , 1976, volume 16 n ° 1. pp. 188-193.
- Calmard Jean. Momen (Moojan)An Introduction to Shi'i Islam. The History and Doctrines of Twelver Shi'ism . In: Archives of Social Sciences of Religions , No. 61/2, 1986. pp. 292-293.
- Calmard Jean. Konzelmann (G.) Die Schiiten und die islamische Republik . In: Archives of the social sciences of religions , n ° 55/2, 1983. p. 247.
Thesis[edit | edit source]
- Le culte de l`Imam Husayn:Etudes sur la commémoration du Drame de Karbala dans l`iran pré-safavide, PhD Thesis, University of Paris III, 1975.
Collaborate[edit | edit source]
- States, societies and cultures of the medieval Muslim world Volume 1, Political and social evolution: 10th-15th century / Michel Balivet, Thierry Bianquis, Henri Bresc ... [et al.]; [edited by] Jean-Claude Garcin / Paris: University Presses of France, DL 1995