Suwayd b. Amr al-Khath'ami
|Suwayd b. Amr al-Khath'ami|
|Native name||سُوَیْد بْن عَمْرو الخَثْعَمی|
|Full Name||Suwayd b. Amr b. Abi Muta' al-Khath'ami|
|Companion of||Imam al-Hussain|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyred in the Battle of Karbala|
Lineage and Character[edit | edit source]
Suwayd b. Amr b. Abi Muta' al-Khath'ami was a nobleman from the Khath'am tribe. He was known as a pious man and a skillful and brave warrior.
Battle of Karbala[edit | edit source]
Suwayd was the last person from Imam Hussain's army who went to the battlefield. He fought bravely against Yazid's army until he was severely injured and fell down among other martyrs, where he was left for dead. However, Suwayd was still alive, and at some point heard people say that Imam Hussain had been killed. With great effort, he got back on his feet and continued to fight with a dagger (his sword had been taken by an enemy soldier) until he was martyred. It is said that Urwa b. Battan al-Tha'labi and Zayd b. Riqad al-Janbi killed him.
References[edit | edit source]
- Samāwī, Ibṣār al-ʿayn, p. 169.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 446.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 442; Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 3, p. 204; Ibn Athīr, al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh, vol. 4, p. 79.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Ansāb al-ashrāf. Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir Maḥmūdī. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1977.
- Ibn Athīr, ʿAlī b. Muḥammad. Al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh. Beirut: Dār al-Ṣādir, 1385 AH.
- Samāwī, Muḥammad al-. Ibṣār al-ʿayn fī anṣār al-Hussain. Qom: Zamzam-i Hidāyat, 1384 Sh.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī, 1403 AH.